[HOME]  [Attractions]  [Great Orme Summit]  [Extravaganza]  [Great Orme Tramway]  [Excursions]  [Hotels]  [Links]
[Town Trail Home]   [1. Library]  [2. Trinity Sq]  [3. Railway Station]  [4. North Western Gdns]  [5. Promenade]  [6. Cenotaph]  [7. Prince Edward Sq]  [8. Pier-Marine Dr]  [9. Happy Valley]  [10. Upper Mostyn St]  [11. Tramway]  [12. Haulfre Gdns]  [13. West Shore]  [14 .Gloddaeth St]  [15. Lloyd St]


..... NEXT

The Town Trail has been established in recent years by the local authority which has placed large informative boards at fifteen locations in Llandudno town each with a distinctive circular map (as illustrated below) and detailed information on nearby places of interest and a recommended walking route between these 15 trail markers to encompass the whole town. Also within Llandudno although not covered by the town trail is nearby Craig y Don, which is in the Parish of Llanrhos and was originally a separate district. 

In these web pages the writer presents his own photographs taken in the vicinity of each of the numbered Town Trail Locations.  On this website there is a separate web page for each of the fifteen trail locations. Each of the Town Trail web pages contains a link to the next page as well as return links to the home pages.

TT Round Map

The concept of the Town Trail is to encompass and explain the historic heart of Llandudno, but all the writer's photographs have been taken recently and illustrate central Llandudno as it now is.

Llandudno is a Victorian Holiday Resort, conceived, designed and purpose built from 1846 onwards by Surveyors, Architects and Planners working for Lord Mostyn and his successors.  Working closely in association with the Mostyn Estates have been Llandudno's successive local authorities working hard to mould Llandudno into a successful Victorian watering place, Edwardian seaside resort and modern holiday centre. The first local authority was the 'Town Improvement Commissioners' established in 1854 and composed of local businessmen who worked hard to attract the venture capital needed to build expensive works such as the Pier and the Marine Drive.  'Queen of the Western Watering Places' declared the Liverpool Mercury in 1864.  The late Ivor Wynne Jones chose ‘Llandudno, Queen of Welsh Resorts’ as the title of his excellent book first published in 1973 and completely revised in 2002 when it was published in the Landmark Collector's Library.

The notable Edwardian social novelist, Arnold Bennet, in his novel The Card, said of Llandudno 'it is more stylish than either Rhyl or Blackpool, and not dearer.'  Many others have sung Llandudno's praises down the years and not least a real Queen. Queen Elizabeth of Roumania came in 1890 in the Prince of Wales's Royal Train and stayed for five weeks. She was not only the Queen Consort of King Carol of Roumania, she was also the famous novelist Carmen Sylva and she was quite enchanted with Llandudno. On her departure she described the resort as 'A Beautiful Haven of Peace' and later, translated into Welsh as 'Hardd Hafan Hedd', it became the official motto of the town under the Llandudno Urban District Council, which took over from the Commissioners in 1895. Successive Local Government reorganizations throughout Wales replaced the L.U.D.C. in 1974 by Aberconwy Council and again in 1996 by Conwy County Borough Council. Llandudno still has a local Town Council within Conwy County Borough. The latter now covers a very large area of North Wales from Kimnel Bay and Abergele in the east to Llanfairfechan in the west, down the Conwy Valley and its tributaries, south almost to Blaenau Ffestiniog, south-west almost to the foot of Snowdon and along the Nant Francon pass almost to the head of Lake Ogwen.

The town trail locations:

        1.   The Library in Mostyn Street - the start of the walk.     
        2.   Trinity Church, Trinity Square and Trinity Avenue.
        3.   The Railway Station and Vaughan Street.
        4.   Mostyn Street and North Western Gardens.
        5.   The Promenade at Clonmel Street.
        6.   The Promenade at the Cenotaph.
        7.   The Promenade at Prince Edward Square.
        8.   The Pier and the Marine Drive.
        9.   The Happy Valley and the Camera Obscura.
        10.  Upper Mostyn Street.
        11.  Church Walks and the Great Orme Tramway.
        12.  Cwlach Road and the Haulfre Gardens.
        13.  The West Shore and Abbey Road.
        14.  Gloddaeth Street and Gloddaeth Avenue.
        15.  Mostyn Street at its junction with Lloyd Street.

..... NEXT

Llandudno Queen of the North Wales Resorts
and the Llandudno Town Trail
This independent website is compiled and published by Noel Walley.
He is the copyright owner and webmaster to whom all requests
for permission to publish photographs should be made.
School children and other students are welcome to use his photographs in their school projects.
Email: Webmaster

Llandudno Tourist Information Centre
All requests for tourist information including brochures, guides, and leaflets etc.
and all questions concerning accommodation and official facilities in Llandudno
should be addressed to The Conwy County Borough Council at
Llandudno Tourist Information Centre
The Library Building, Mostyn Street, Llandudno.
Telephone:  01492 876413   Email:  llandudnotic@conwy.gov.uk

Llandudno Queen of the North Wales Resorts

Llandudno Town Trail web pages compiled by Noel Walley. Last updated January 2009.

Photographs (except where stated) © 2004 by Noel Walley

Email: Webmaster